Is your Website tangled in the Web?
Do you need to improve your SALES and TRAFFIC?
You need to stop what you’re doing and read this now.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is your key to unlocking the power of your Website. “Why is SEO so important,” you ask? Because this is what drives traffic to your Website. If you don’t have traffic on your site, “why” I ask, “bother having a Website at all?”
Well that sounds simple enough, but it’s not. Not even for the pro’s. Let’s start with a list of what you need for a successful SEO campaign.
- Choosing the Right Keywords
- Keyword Density
- Keywords in Special Places
- Anchor Text
- Visual Formats
- Submitting Your Site
1. Choosing the right keyword or key phrase- is the first and most important step to being successful with your SEO campaign.
It is important that you understand that narrow keywords get fewer searches, but they are valuable to you because it is content driven. You get the traffic that is really interested in your “content”, not someone that is going to click into your site just to see it’s not what he wants and instantly clicks away.
The days of one word keywords have past long ago. We now need to have 3 or 4 key words in a string and they need to make sense to humans as well as the robots/spiders.
2. Keyword Density- This is making your site “keyword rich.” This has to be handled very carefully. Keyword stuffing is a big turn off to the spiders. If you feed these little bugs to much food, you’ll kill them and your own Website. The recommended density is 3-7% for the major 2 or 3 keywords and 1-2% for minor keywords.
3. Keywords in special places- Knowing where to put the keywords is very important. Quantity and quality works best for your Website. Keywords placed in the title, headings, and the first paragraphs will get better scores.
URLs, File Names and keywords – your major keyword/s should be in the URL (your Website address.) This can be a difficult job finding the best name for your site, while not getting the name too long, and finding a domain name that is still open. Your file names are also important and hopefully can be keywords or content words.
Keywords in titles tags- is just as important as a good domain name.
Keywords in headings – using the correct heading tags will get you good rank with the spiders.
4. Backlinks- will only do your site well if they are of similar content as your site. These are the links on other Websites that connect to your Website.
Search engines like to see lots of quality backlinks. This shows the spiders how popular your site is. Search engines actually look for natural links that have been built slowly over time. Good quality backlinks take time. It can be a long hard process to convince other “popular” sites to place your Website link. But remember, the search engines like this and your website will get more points for the hard work.
The search engines know when unscrupulous, deceptive, sneaky techniques such as hidden links or auto-generated pages to provide backlinks to websites are being used. The SE’s disregard these techniques and using them could get your site banned entirely.
- A few ways to get good quality backlinks
- Getting Listed in Directories
- Forums and Article Directories (Article Submissions)
- RSS Feeds
- Affiliate programs
- News Announcements and Press Releases
5. Anchor Text- this is the text that is used in hyperlinks. When you see “click here” on a Web page, that is the anchor text. The anchor text is one of the most powerful resources a webmaster can use. It is important to make sure that the backlinks to your site are utilizing the proper anchor text.
6. Metatags- unseen tags that summarize the information on a Web page. Meta description tag is about the most popular one. With the advancements of algorithms, meta tags are decreasing in importance every day.
7. Updates – Your site must be kept updated. If nothing changes the spiders will stop visiting on regular basis and you will certainly be dropped from the top of the search results. It is not enough to just change product or update without good content written text. The Spiders will sniff out advertising which has no practical value to a visitor and disregard it. But if you include rich content along with you product changes, the spiders will eat well and promote your site.
8. Visual Formats – These should be looked at to help your optimization. Images, Animation and movies all have tags that can use your keywords. It is very important to know all the rules or the search engines could penalize you.
9. Submitting your site – to the major search engines such as Google, MSN, and Yahoo will help to get the spiders feasting on your site faster. However, it is not a given. Most search engines reserve the right to judge whether to crawl your site or not.
Submissions to directories are always helpful, but these can take a very long time before your site is listed. They are maintained by humans, not machines. There also are specialized search engines. The for-mentioned 3 are not the only good engines in the World Wide Web. Submitting to some of the more personalized engines can be really helpful for reaching your target audience.
Paid Ads and Submissions- This type of advertising can be used as a “last resort”. Many users do not trust these types of search results as it seems to be more of a bribe than accurate content sites. This type can get to be quite expensive as the goal here is to get place on top or at least alongside the true search results.