When you first step in to the internet world for expanding your business, the first thing that troubles you is the heightened competition between companies. Yours is not the only web development company, you will see thousand other companies competing to be the best. Reputation and popularity online is done through Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
Now, you may think of hiring professionals. Don’t you do that yet, doing SEO yourself is not that complex. By doing the basics, you can save hundreds of dollars and get equal results to that of professionals. There is denying the fact that professionals can get better results but you should definitely try doing it yourself first.
Basic SEO is something simple and worth trying. It can be time-consuming but once you get on track, you will not need help of any web development company. Here are some points you should think about if you are doing it yourself:
1. You will start off with domain name registration. You should ensure that it reflects what your site is about. Keep the name short as long as it is related to the services and products provided by your company. You may also consider giving the domain name related to the services and products of your company. Getting a sub-domain of a popular domain will also help in getting indexed more quickly.
2. Page title is the next thing. It is also known as the HTML Title Tag which is important in making search engines understand what the page is all about. Remember that it is the title tag is the first thing a search engine looks at in order to determine the website’s relevance. Therefore, for a better SEO score, you should use important keywords in your title tags. For example, instead of calling the home page home, make it a short description of the page like keeping.
3. Primary Meta tags nowadays are not that much important as it used to be. However, the description tag is still used by some search engines in displaying information about websites to users and helps them decide whether the website is of their use or not. Therefore, you should also not forget putting the description tag. For short descriptions, you can also use the alt tag.
4. Keyword density, this is one thing which comes into play in the long run. Having good keyword density in all the contents of every page is good but you should also know that each search engines has their own requirements when it comes to keyword density. In average, 5-8% is considered the optimal level. Don’t keyword-stuff your contents or search engines might mark your site down.
5. Most Search Engines review web page’s importance according to the number and quality of incoming links from other sites. It is therefore helpful in linking your sites to some related websites. This should also be done in a way that you don’t overdo it. Asking other related sites to use your keyword as the text of your incoming links can also be very helpful. As for example, ask other pages to use Web Development Company for the linking text if your company deals on the same.
If you follow the above points, you can do SEO yourself and do it right. Search Engine Optimization, if done the right way, can keep your site on top of SERP as long as you want to be.